Have you been battling a toothache that's getting worse with each passing day? Are you wondering whether your tooth needs to be extracted but have questions about the dental extraction process? Read on to learn more about the gentle extractions offered by Calm Spring Dental to patients in San Antonio, TX, and the surrounding areas.
What Are the Most Common Reasons for a Tooth Extraction?
The following are the most common reasons our patients require tooth extractions:
- Irreparable Damage: Teeth sometimes suffer damage due to injury or trauma and cannot be repaired using root canal therapy or other restorative dentistry procedures.
- Deep Decay: Deep decay often causes extensive damage to a tooth, making extraction the only viable option to restore a patient's oral health.
- Advanced Gum Disease: Gum disease that has become so advanced to the point that the bone and tissue supporting the tooth has become too damaged to sustain it may require extraction.
- Orthodontic Treatment: A crowded mouth may require selective extractions to make room for the remaining teeth to shift into alignment, delivering straight teeth and a beautiful, healthy smile.
- Wisdom Teeth Problems: Wisdom teeth, known as third molars, often cause problems, such as infection, or may become impacted (trapped) in the jaw. Wisdom teeth extraction is one of the most common oral surgeries performed.
What Are the Types of Tooth Extractions?
There are two types of extractions, and each will depend on your individual needs. Simple extractions work for teeth that are easily accessible and visible above the gum line. In contrast, surgical extractions may be necessary to remove weak or impacted teeth or ones fractured at the gum line.
The average recovery period for simple tooth extraction is usually no longer than 48 hours. Surgical tooth extractions, however, are more involved, which means the recovery period is often a little lengthier. In either case, we will provide you with instructions for at-home care.
How We Help You Relax During Extraction
At Calm Spring Dental, we understand that having a tooth pulled out may not be on your list of favorite pastimes. We would like to reassure you that we will spare no effort to make your time with us comfortable and free of stress. If you're anxious about the dental extraction process, we encourage you to contact our team to discuss our sedation dentistry options for an anxiety-free extraction appointment.
How Can You Promote Healing After Tooth Extraction?
Make sure to follow the care instructions we provide to help promote healing. It's essential to avoid drinking from a straw, forceful spitting, vigorous rinsing, or smoking for at least 48 hours to prevent dislodging the blood clot forming in the extracted tooth's socket. Otherwise, you risk developing a painful condition called dry socket, which requires in-office treatment.
Gentle Tooth Extractions Near Me
Contact Calm Spring Dental in San Antonio, TX, if you experience tooth pain or are concerned about the health of one of your teeth. We will do everything we can to save a damaged or painful tooth. However, if extraction is our only viable option, you can trust us for gentle care that exceeds your expectations.